[OSM-dev] Warn data consumers about the need for 64-bit node numbers

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:37:57 BST 2012

On 08/02/2012 11:59 AM, Andrew wrote:
> The last Licence working group meeting ( https://docs.google.com/document/pub?
> id=1j4wiDqukbRGNDh9kC-cUL6j3t4NhlcVgancqieHywK0 ) discussed sending an
> announcement to our users ( https://hackpad.com/2L8xdm5nMkM#Upcoming-changes-to-
> the-OpenStreetMap-licence ) that the licence is changing and encouraging them to
> reimport their data. Should we add a reminder that everyone will soon need to
> treat node numbers as 64-bit?
I would suggest to go one step further and change the default of
osm2pgsql to 64bit. This way at least everyone who starts fresh will
automatically use 64bit.

I will also create 64bit packages for the ubuntu PPA. Although I haven't
decided yet whether to change the osm2pgsql package to 64bit and create
an osm2pgsql32 package, or whether to create a osm2pgsql64 package.

The problem with changing the osm2pgsql package to 64bit would be that
all diff imports for existing installations would break.

Kai