[OSM-dev] Problem configuring Cgimap for OSM API

Arjen de Korte arjendk at gmx.net
Wed Aug 29 23:03:11 BST 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the OSM Cgimap FastCGI-module on Ubuntu Server
12.04 for better performance of the map API call. I already have the
Rails port with the regular API set up and working.

I've built Cgimap following the instructions on the wiki
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cgimap/install).

I then installed the Apache FCGI module:

sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-fcgid

And added the following to my Apache configuration
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default:

         ScriptAlias /fcgi/ /path/to/cgimap/
         <Directory "/path/to/cgimap/">
                 SetHandler fcgid-script
                 AllowOverride None
                 Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                 Order allow,deny
                 Allow from all
         </Directory>

I've added the database settings to /etc/environment as described in the
README:

DB_HOST="localhost"
DB_NAME="openstreetmap"
DB_USER="openstreetmap"
DB_PASS="pass"

Then restarted the server.

When I now make a FastCGI map call, e.g.:

http://myserver/fcgi/map?bbox=5.095,52.075,5.1,52.08

I get an internal server error, and /var/log/apache2/error.log reports:

Exception: database name not specified
[Wed Aug 29 21:48:39 2012] [warn] [client 82.171.xxx.xxx]
(104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from
FastCGI server
[Wed Aug 29 21:48:39 2012] [error] [client 82.171.xxx.xxx] Premature end
of script headers: map

I see "database name not specified", so something could be wrong there,
but also a message "Premature end of script headers: map" - I don't know
what that means.

Could anyone help me solve this problem? Any suggestions welcome!

NB: the regular API call
http://myserver/api/0.6/map?bbox=5.095,52.075,5.1,52.08 still works
correctly and returns a good OSM XML-document!

Kind regards,

Arjen.