[OSM-dev] installing Osmium on ubuntu 11.10

Martin Alegre tin.alegre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:37:16 GMT 2012

Dear all,

I'm new to the OSM community and currently I'm trying to install the Osmium
framework under ubuntu 11.10, but I'm facing some compilation errors. The
steps that I followed can be summarized as follows:
1. I basically first installed all the dependencies as suggested in the Osmium
Quick Start <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmium/Quick_Start> webpage
[OK]
2. I manually downloaded the zip file available from the Osmium's github
repository <https://github.com/joto/osmium> and unpacked locally under a
local directory, say: /media/projects/osm/  [OK]
3. Then, I called "make install" from the console and the include files
were installed [OK].
4. Next, I called "make test" and all the test passed by displaying "*** No
errors detected" in the console [OK].
5. Finally, being inside the "examples" subdirectory, I called "make" and a
compiler error message was displayed [NOT OK]:
$ make
g++ -g -Wall -Wextra -Wdisabled-optimization -pedantic -Wctor-dtor-privacy
-Wnon-virtual-dtor -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-promo -Wno-long-long
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I../include -DOSMIUM_WITH_DEBUG
-I/usr/include/libxml2 -o osmium_convert osmium_convert.cpp -lexpat -lz
-lpthread -lprotobuf-lite -losmpbf -lxml2
In file included from ../include/osmium.hpp:26:0,
                 from osmium_convert.cpp:33:
../include/osmium/input/pbf.hpp:33:27: fatal error: osmpbf/osmpbf.h: No
such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [osmium_convert] Error 1

I'm not sure what I did wrong and therefore any feedback is happily
welcomed!

Best,

Javier