[OSM-dev] Timestamp in PBF files

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 4 08:12:04 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 12/04/12 07:50, Jochen Topf wrote:
> That still isn't specific to Osmosis. Somebody else could implement this
> algorithm. Markus seems to have done so, albeit a bit differently. The
> algorithm should be documented somewhere and if you think there can be
> other algorithms, maybe this one should get a name.

I'd call it the "Osmosis algorithm", and therefore name the header
fields "osmosis_...", to make clear that they are intended for this
algorithm. - I agree that it would be nice for the algorithm to be
documented somewhere but I'm loathe to make this a prerequisite for the
proposed changes to OSM-Binary because it will unnecessarily delay the
process.

> But it should not be
> named after one of the programs that happen to implement it.

That would then be pure coincidence.

> This is a similar issue as with the main OSM map, which was named "Mapnik"
> after the rendering program which lead to no end of confusion.

Frankly, I don't care what it is called, I just want to get on with the
show. Making up a new name for it now and telling everyone that this
<new name> is what they've been using all the time is just as confusing
but if anyone thinks this is important enough to spend the time to come
up with a new name (or bug Brett to come up with one) then they're
welcome to do so. Preferably within a couple of days.

Bye
Frederik