[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql Windows build

Dominik Perpeet dominik.perpeet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:04:36 GMT 2012

> It seems like osm2pgsql for windows used to be kept at
> http://tile.openstreetmap.org/osm2pgsql.zip and is still from 2010.
>
> I wonder if your version can be put up as a replacement for this at
> the same location?
Maybe eventually. For now I have my own server I can use.

> Using MinGW or the Intel compiler seems to be one route? Coverting
> things to C++ might be another?
>
> Any suggestions what the most sensible route is in general for the
> best portability?
I started removing the C99 code myself, but quit because it was too much
work (and a bit error-prone). Since I don't see a good reason to use C,
I'd choose the C++ route.

> The current code now has a configure check to test if fork is
> available and if doesn't compile the multi-process code. I haven't
> looked at the advantages and disadvantages of OpenMP, but perhaps
> indeed that is an option. However, I suspect the big issue there are
> the connections to postgresql, as each thread / process needs to setup
> its own connections and transactions to postgresql.

Jochen's clang argument seems persuasive. I don't have much OSX
developing experience, so I wouldn't know. One reason I didn't add
Windows threaded code is that the postgresql connection stuff is a bit
scattered. I would be willing to refactor the code into C++ classes.
Once the connection variables are a bit more concentrated, it wouldn't
affect fork() and other threading systems could be implemented.

Once the code is refactored, there are alternatives to using openmp:
- Qt (personal preference, but big dependence)
- tbb (requires experience with tbb and can be a bit tricky to use
correctly)
- boost (don't really like using it for basic stuff like threads, also a
big dependence)
To my knowledge, all three have support for OSX. Qt is also nice because
it has different sql backends.

Without adding another library dependency, it should be possible to use
threads just for Windows. While it wouldn't break code for anyone
currently using osm2pgsql, it would lead to diverging paths in the
codebase which are a bit more difficult to maintain. For starters, I
think this would be the best option though - nobody likes too many
dependencies.

> Yes, I think there is serious interest in this. And if reasonably
> possible, I would like to get as many of those changes into the svn
> master repository as possible to make it easier to compile on windows
> in the future.
Ok, I'll look into it. I think once I switched to the Intel Compiler I
didn't have to change too much. The biggest hassle in Windows is
building and linking the dependencies anyway. =)

Dominik