[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql Windows build

Dominik Perpeet dominik.perpeet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 20:08:04 GMT 2012

> The idea behind the same location was so that any documentation or
> links that still point to that location would automatically be
> up-to-date again. That would probably be easier than finding any and
> all documentation for windows and update them. Although perhaps it
> would be good anyway to check if the rest still works.
Since my version isn't feature complete, it shouldn't be in the same
location.

> Sounds like the same reason I gave up on it too. But if it were of
> help, I could finish it off fairly quickly.
>
> How much work would it be to move things to C++? Any disadvantages for
> it?

As Frederik stated, refactoring is always a lot easier if there are
tests for the most important use cases. I would change the code in
several steps:
1. refactor without changing functionality: move to C++ classes, keep fork()
2. switch to some kind of threading (away from fork)
3. look at the build system (linux, osx, windows)

If someone else can take care of the test cases, I could write a
proposal for the refactored C++ structure. Having those tests would
probably reduce the refactoring to a couple of evenings (and make
everyone feel better).