[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql - some polygons not ending up in osm_polygon

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:05:28 GMT 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 18:00 +0000, Svavar Kjarrval wrote:
> On 20/12/12 17:31, Jon Burgess wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 15:23 +0000, Svavar Kjarrval wrote:
> >> On 20/12/12 14:47, Jon Burgess wrote:

> > This suggests that your data broke when doing the updates. Can try a
> > similar test yourself to confirm that things work OK with the data
> > before the update?
> >
> > What commands do you use to do the updates?
>
> These are the relevant commands from my update shellscript:
> osmosis -q 5 --rri --simc --rx iceland.osm --ac --bp iceland.poly --wx
> iceland2.osm;
> osm2pgsql -d osm --append --cache-strategy sparse -S
> /[homedir]/osm/mapnik-stylesheets/default.style --prefix osm --slim
> iceland_postgres_diff.osc
> mv iceland2.osm iceland.osm
>
> Osmosis version is 0.41.
>
> I got the .poly file from CloudMade, I think. It's attached to this mail
> so you can check it if you wish.

I believe the poly file is the source of your problem. The trouble is
that it tries to follow the coastline of the country in great detail.
Any point which are marginally outside this are lost.

Try replacing the poly file with this simple rectangle:

iceland
1
   -2.574085E+01   6.284553E+01
   -2.574085E+01   6.750085E+01
   -1.241708E+01   6.750085E+01
   -1.241708E+01   6.284553E+01
   -2.574085E+01   6.284553E+01
END
END

This is the clipping bounds used for Iceland by Geofabrik:
http://download.geofabrik.de/clipbounds/

For the purposes of applying updates it is much better for the polygon
to slightly over estimate the required data instead of dropping valid
data.

   Jon