[OSM-dev] OSM 2 Oracle

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Fri Feb 3 12:39:54 GMT 2012

Hi,

For sure GDAL/OGR supports Oracle http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_oci.html For new
GDAL versions you will need to install the Oracle plugin
separately. It seems that it is not properly documented in the OCI driver
page. If you use Windows you can download GDAL 1.9.0 and Oracle plugin
installers from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/

Once you begin, why not to develop a general OSM driver for GDAL as
possible? It could do about the same as osm2pgsql but instead of a named
target it would convert from osm into ogr simple features. After that
ogr2ogr coud do the rest to any format it supports. Data models do not
suit but we are doing the same with osm2pgsql and Mapnik rendering all the
time.

It may still be worth considering to use osm2pgsql first and convert then
with ogr2ogr from PostGIS into Oracle. Then you would have all the tools
ready. Or then you could tweak osm2pgsql so that it could write directly
into Oracle in addition to PostgreSQL. That is probably not very simple.
If you select that road I would love to see it able to write into
Spatialite as well.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

started developing OSM-GB<http://www.osmgb.org.uk/> project.

> I need help in converting OSM data into Oracle Spatial (direct, no
stop-overs!)
> As far as I found so far, the ogr2ogr<http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html>
converts to Postgres but does not have Oracle output format. Can this be
used or adopted for Oracle? Any experience?
> Also FME and GoLoader seems to do the conversion straight into Oracle,
but
> I have not tried. Any idea?
> Again, this Java tool also exists:
> http://www.ciss.de/openstreetmap-oracle-konverter.html has anybody tried
this?
> Any idea will be a great help.
> Thanks,
> Amir.

and
> may contain confidential information. If you have received this message
in
> error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do
not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or
in
> any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this
email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of