[OSM-dev] Need advice on my software stack: How to display a small/medium mapping project in OpenLayers?

Morten Olsen Lysgaard morten at lysgaard.no
Sun Feb 12 12:38:33 GMT 2012

Hi,
I'm doing a project on open aviation data. I am using a custom modified
rails port for this.

Until now I've shown the map this way:
* A Google physical as a basemap that shows terrain, borders etc.
* My own WFS layer above that shows aerodromes, runways, airspaces, etc.
* Both these layers are combined and shown in OpenLayers.

The project is starting to grow on me. I want to import all the aviation
data from OSM, mainly runways, helipads and terminals/taxiways; Things
on the ground.

I believe that if I try to show all the new data via the WFS layer it's
going to kill performance. I don't think OpenLayers can cope with all
those vector features. Therefore I'm thinking I have to do some
modifications to my software stack.
What do you think is the best solution? My requirements are:

* Possibility to show the layer as an overlay, that is, it has to
support transparency. This is because I use the Google physical (or
possibly other) map as base topographic map.
* Some way to show what tags a feature has when you click it. This is
important when people use the map to plan flights.
* Not require me to render the whole map in all zoom levels, I don't
have the hardware to do this.

If you want, you can take a look at the page: http://openaviationmap.org
Click one of the features to see the functionality. Basically I need
something that has the same functionality, but scales a lot better when
loads of data is added.

Any advice/experiences are greatly appreciated!

--
Morten :)