[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql with early commit / w/o transactions

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Mon Feb 13 17:53:18 GMT 2012

Hi!

When you observe the db server, it appears that the whole planet import done
by osm2pgsql is one huge transaction.

On one hand, this is not required in my case as the import is done into
shadow tables and activated later at a defined time. On the other hand, the
db server allocates large amounts of temporary disk space for the import
that threaten to exceed the maximum capacity of the SSD the db is residing
on.

So my question is: Is there a way to cause osm2pgsql to work without
transactions, smaller transactions or use autocommit? Bascially I'd be
interested in any tradeoff that sacrifices transactional integrity (I could
always drop the tables and restart the import if something goes wrong.) for
a reduction in disc space.

Or am I mistaken and all the additional space is just the caching for slim
mode?

                 Nop