[OSM-dev] [Talk-us] Tracking Deleted Streets and Comparison Tools

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 07:42:35 GMT 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Humphries, Grant <HumphriG at trimet.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to track deleted streets and other changes that have
> significant effects on routing between versions of OSM data that are
> approximately one and two months apart.  My region of interest for this
> process is the Portland metropolitan area which is home to about 2 million
> people and covers around 17,000 square kilometers.
>
> I work on a trip planner that routes on OSM data so the purpose of this
> effort is to ensure the integrity of the data each time we update, which
> happens every several weeks.  Does any one know of tools or processes in
> existence that could be used for this type of task?

This reminds me of the TIGER fixup "routing grid" tools I have heard
rumors of. I didn't join OSM until after these tools had served their
purpose and been discontinued. But as I understand it, the idea was to
do kind of a routing unit test on OSM data to detect where things were
broken. In this case it took the form of 250 cities in the US that you
should always be able to route between with somewhat predictable route
distances. Distances outside of the norm were flagged as troublesome.
Here is a wiki page about it:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup/250_cities/routing_grid

Not sure how many of the tools still exist or still work. But it might
be a starting point.

Toby