[OSM-dev] Friend's diaries & Nearby users changesets and diaries

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Jan 8 18:59:19 GMT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> A problem I was considering was how to allow more communication between
> local mappers. We don't want to build a spam engine. But at the moment, it
> is laborious and hit or miss to reach to mappers in a particular area.
>
> Diary entries are an unobtrusive communication stream. Right now, you can
> get an individuals diary entries, diary entries in a particular language, or
> just all of the entries. So I added two filters, linked to from your own
> User page ... diary entries from your friends, and diary entries by nearby
> users. And just to balance, added changesets by nearby users too.

That's a great start and it looks like they're already deployed.
I want to see how easy / difficult it is to group your friends, either
by creating friend groups or by binning friends into geographical
areas (bounding boxes). If I am anywhere near the average OSM web site
user, I have OSM 'friends' in several places where I lived / mapped a
lot / visited. It would be nice to have that additional filter
capability.

Taking the 'changesets by friends' one step further would be to sort
them by most active editors (in the last week / month / year).

If the User page does involve into a much more useful dashboard-type
page we should also rethink its place on the home page. Right now you
reach it through clicking on your user name, which communicates
something like 'access account settings' to me. Something you'd only
click if the system behaves unexpectedly. Let my just boldly suggest
that it could be a tab 'My OSM' or something in the future.
[..]

> Some further issues to explore later.
>
> * Diary filters should be on the diary page itself.
> * Diary entries can have a location too. Add filter for this too.
> * Your own user profile page is getting crowded.
> * Would be nice to sort nearby users by their last changeset edit.
>

> More generally I'm thinking about the user profile page. It has two
> functions ... one to view other people, and another as a dashboard for
> yourself. I think these should start to diverge into two different pages.
> The user profile should be grown to give a better idea of what a mapper is
> up to. Richard's statistics would work well here
> (http://rweait.dev.openstreetmap.org/daily/board_career.html). Recent
> changesets and diary entries could be pulled into one page.

Agreed! There are some excellent 'what am I up to' tools out there
already. Some of Pascal Neis's tools come to mind
http://neis-one.org/tools/ .I know we are very reluctant to rely on
external services / content in the OSM web site, but we can at least
provide links. And I'm a huge fan of stats, so I already love
Richard's page (I actually had not seen it before - does it rely on
the full history planet or did it gather those stats as it ran?)

> The Dashboard would be a focus point for a mapper to stay on top of
> everything they care about in OSM. So in one page, give a summary of what
> friends and nearby users are up to, but also what's happening in places you
> care about. For many users, myself included, there are many areas you've
> mapped, and would like to keep track of. Right now, you explicitly express
> interest by declaring your home location. This could be expanded to
> multiple, manually specified locations (my top 10 areas); or by analysis, a
> list of your top areas for editing could be automatically compiled.
>
> Both of these are going to need some smart design. My immediate thoughts are
> that a dashboard would compile a stream of activity.
>
> If anyone of any stripe is interested in collaborating on anything around
> these ideas, or other ideas, let's get to work.

Yes. IANAD, and by no means a rails expert, but I did fork and install
the Rails Port on my development server and read up on rails over the
break, so I'm as ready as I'll ever be for some action.

On a related note, we are trying to put together a hack weekend in
(probably) DC next month, hope to get an announcement out soon.
It would be the weekend of the 18th/19th.

Best,
--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore