[OSM-dev] helping #switch2osm

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:45:53 GMT 2012

On 01/-10/-28163 12:59 PM, Mikel Maron wrote:
> Hi

[...]

> 2) A packaged solution, like a chef recipe, to install everything needed.

We should try and get more of the rendering tool stack into the standard
repositories of Ubuntu and Feodora. That would probably make it easier
to install a tile server. There are already a bunch of osm programs in
the ubuntu repositories (e.g. josm and osm2pgsql, although the later is
rather old), but programs like mod_tile, renderd and tirex are still
missing.

I wanted to see if I can do that, but then didn't get around to it. So
if anyone else wants to try this it would be great. However, to get it
into the next long term release 12.04, one would probably need to do
this very soon.

One part of the process is to actually write some man pages for each of
the programs and some other documentation of how to set things up.

Kai