[OSM-dev] 120111 Planet Node Order?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Jan 15 00:06:40 GMT 2012

Actually, the instructions I was following called for -C 2048
(http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server), but when
I did that I got the following error (running in a 4GB Ubuntu 10.04 VM):

> Out of memory for dense node cache, reduce --cache size

I had to reduce to -C 1800 to make it even run.  Nodes imported nice and
fast (43.6k/s), but I received the following error:

> Out of order node 244067335 (33792779,7) - this will impact the cache
> efficiency

which to my novice reading implies that there was an issue in the Planet
file dealing with node ordering.  And the Way import is running MUCH
slower than I would have thought given what I've read.  0.12k/s is WAY
less than 43.6k/s.  I know ways are slower, but I figured maybe 10% of
the speed worst case, not this much slower.

Lynn (D)

PS.  I haven't seen a -C 12000 recommended anywhere.  And interestingly
with -C 2048 complaining , -C 1800 is still only using 2GB of the 3.7GB
available according to Ubuntu's System Monitor.