[OSM-dev] 120111 Planet Node Order?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Jan 15 22:24:28 GMT 2012

On 1/15/2012 5:09 AM, Simon Poole wrote:

> Lynn,
>
> current versions of osm2pgsql can import .pbf, so you are on the right
> track there. Richards text is good, but it was written when planet
> files were a third of the current size and is just a bit dated. If
> osm2pgsql can't hold the nodes in it's cache it will have to retrieve
> them from the database and that is in my and other peoples experience
> at least  an order of magnitude slower.

Ok, any hints on where I can find a planet-level .pbf file?  The only
files I can find when linking from the Planet page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet) download section are for the
more traditional bz2 files (planet-<date>-osm.bz2).

I found local area extracts in pbf format, but no planet pbf.  I'm still
trying to grok the options and appreciate the continuing assistance.

Lynn (D)