[OSM-dev] Using changesets-latest.osm

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 00:08:27 GMT 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 01/21/2012 11:34 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
>>
>> So is there some other utility that has already been written to parse
>> the changeset dump and push it into a database of some kind?
>

> Pardon the question but you *are* aware that changesets-latest.osm.bz2 does
> only contain changeset metadata, not the actual information on *which*
> objects have been changed in each changeset? Therefore, while importing that
> into an apidb schema is perhaps not completely useless, it is of limited
> use.

Yes, I am aware of this. I want to query the metadata. Comment tags,
bboxes, users and such. I don't really care if it is in the apidb
schema or not. My first thought was that this would "just work" with
osmosis but that obviously isn't the case. I was just wondering if
someone else already has something. It sounds like the answer is no.
Which kind of makes me wonder why the changeset dump even exists if
there are no standard tools to use it. But whatever. It's not like
parsing XML is hard. I can write something to do what I need pretty
quickly.

Toby