[OSM-dev] Coastline shapefiles

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Jan 30 05:09:28 GMT 2012

I have been experimenting with generating the coastline shapefiles locally
using http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/coastcheck/ and ended
up with a few questions

1. Is this the same code that is currently used to generate the processed_p
files?

2. It took my server about one hour from the start of extracting the
coastline data to creating the shapefiles. My understanding was that this
process took about a day. I'm using a different route to extract coastline
data than osm2coast, could this account for the difference?

3. If I were to run the coastline generation daily and upload the files
somewhere, could someone then host a slippymap showing coastline errors?

4. Given that it only took an hour to generate, is there any way to get more
frequent updates to the coastline files?