[OSM-dev] New OGR driver to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Jul 11 08:24:03 BST 2012

Le mardi 10 juillet 2012 22:13:15, Jochen Topf a écrit :
> Interesting. Any reason you wrote the whole thing yourself instead of
> basing it on the Osmium library? (wiki.osm.org/wiki/Osmium)

Hi Jochen,

The main reason is I didn't make an extensive search of what other libs
existed before, so yes perhaps, a bit of reinvented wheel syndrom...

Looking a bit at Osmium documentation, which seems to be very elegant on a
architectural point of view, there are a few things that would have been worth
considering :
- another dependency to add to the long list of dependencies of GDAL/OGR. I'm
not sure how extensively it is packaged for common distros.
- Osmium does not seem to be Windows ready according to its doc.
- not a major point, but its licencing. I see it is LGPL, which is OK, but
more "demanding" than GDAL X/MIT, which can be a problem for some people.

Best regards,

Even