[OSM-dev] New OGR driver to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Thu Jul 12 03:52:19 BST 2012

On Jul 11, 2012, at 1:03 AM, Jochen Topf wrote:

>> - Osmium does not seem to be Windows ready according to its doc.
>
> Yes. I hope somebody who knows anything about Windows development will help
> with that at some point.

I's really like to see the Mapnik OSM plugin switch to using Osmium rather than the custom libxml2 based parsing code that exists now.

At that point I would be looking at getting the Osmium code to compile on windows, since we often are ask to provide the OSM plugin in windows binaries.

>> - not a major point, but its licencing. I see it is LGPL, which is OK, but
>> more "demanding" than GDAL X/MIT, which can be a problem for some people.
>
> If thats an actual problem for anybody (and not an imagined one) I am certainly
> willing to talk about licenses.

I'm okay with LGPL, but BSD/MIT would likely widen the use of Osmium as the foundational library for osm parsing (something I would like to see).

So, my +1 would be to see the gdal driver use Osmium.