[OSM-dev] Attribution string

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 12 11:49:50 BST 2012

On 7/12/2012 1:12 AM, Kai Krueger wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 01:38 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>> I've been wondering if it would be possible to put a fixed URL on the
>> tile and/or API servers that application programs could fetch to
>> retrieve the current attribution string for that particular tile
>> server?  Something like 0/0/0.txt or some-such that we could simply
>> code into the tile-based clients to fetch the desired string instead
>> of coding it directly in the clients?
> I think this sounds like a good idea. Rather than 0/0/0.txt, I would
> use a name like attribution.txt or license.txt in the base directory
> of the tile style. It allows for different attribution for different
> styles on the same server while still having a meaningful name.
>
> In addition I would suggest to add an attribution.html that has the
> attribution string as a html snippet with the correct hyperlink to the
> license and contributors.
>
> If people think this is useful, I could add this to mod_tile to help
> standardize the attribution URL.

You captured my request precisely and I like your proposed names as
well.  And for anyone looking to balance this off against precedent,
just think of robots.txt, but at the base directory of each tile style.

This would go a long way to making attribution a) easier, b) under the
control of the style publisher, and c) possible to be displayed by tile
clients that allow user-configuration of the tile servers. Right now, my
software can't really tell whose tiles are being displayed in order to
provide correct attribution because the user configures the tile server,
port, and URL prototype.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ