[OSM-dev] (Multi)Polygon handling

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Jul 13 10:34:32 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:57:33AM -0700, nimix wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote
> >

> > If we can't get everyone to use the same code base, then it would at
> > least be great to reach some kind of agreement here, or maybe at least
> > produce a test suite that everyone runs their code against.
> >

> I created a testsuite for that with some more cases that need special
> treatment. Unfortunately I only stored the WKB representation in Google
> mercator projection, so it is not very human readable. The testcase contains
> a LINESTRING and a MULTIPOLYGON for simple closed ways and for relations a
> MULTILINESTRING and a MULTIPOLYGON ([1]).
>
> I would volunteer to bring it in an other format so that it is useful for
> everyone writing converters and I would like to discuss what is the best way
> to do it. I would suggest an .osm file and a Wiki Page containing the
> expected results in WKT/WKB and some explanation for each case. Any other
> ideas?

Just the geometries is not enough. We also need the tags in some form, because
part of the multipolygon assembly is deciding which tags from the relation
and which tags from the member ways make it to the output.

Input as .osm is good. But the output should not be on a wiki page but in some
format so that it can be used for automated checks. I think the whole thing
should probably be in a git repository.

Maybe a subdirectory for each test case which contains the .osm input file,
a .wkt output file, a .tags output file and a .result output file or so that
has information whether the test should succeed or fail. Maybe other files,
too with more detailed information if that turns out to be needed. Plus a
README in every directory describing the test case to the developer.

Jochen