[OSM-dev] (Multi)Polygon handling

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 13 16:06:17 BST 2012

Hi,

On 07/13/2012 04:59 PM, nimix wrote:
> If I remember it right mapnik requires normalized geometries, so outer in
> clockwise and inners in counterclockwise order. I'm not sure if that is
> still the case, but osm2pgsql still does the normalization. That's why I
> defined the result in clockwise orientation...

Mapnik doesn't require that as far as I know (have to check though).
However, if you e.g. create a shape file and open that in ArcGIS and
compute the polygon area, it will come up with negative areas if your
polygon goes the wrong way round.

I don't know if that is an ESRI curiosity or following the standard, and
if so, what standard. If it should turn out to be a convention for shape
files but not for Simple Features generally, then any program that
creates shape files should fix the winding order.

Bye
Frederik