[OSM-dev] Server-side data validation

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Jul 13 19:19:43 BST 2012

Am 13.07.2012 20:08, schrieb Jochen Topf:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:04:10PM +0200, Peter Wendorff wrote:
>> 1) The OSM API is a restful api that allows "live" editing: The
>> editor software a) opens a changeset, b) creates a node, c) adds a
>> tag - same for ways.
>> Between b and c there's an untagged osm element in the database
>> (even if it's in most cases a very short time).
> No, thats not the case. Objects always have their set of tags with
> them.
Sure?
As far as I read the API documentation, it's in fact possible to do it
exactly that way, doing the following separate API calls:

1) open a changeset
2) create an untagged node (possible, as untagged nodes in general
aren't invalid as such)
3) add a tag to that node
4) close the changeset.

sure, the editor of your choice MAY and usually will add tags directly
before the first upload, since the usual way to edit nowadays isn't the
live mode; but it's afaik not restricted by the api.

regards
Peter