[OSM-dev] Server-side data validation

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 13 23:13:04 BST 2012

Hi Roland,

You make some good points and also thanks for the link to the API ideas.

> I would not make much sense. There are a lot of ideas what could be done
> on
> the API, please see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7

This section is interesting:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7#.22Verified.22_Users_.2F_Locked_Tags

Ideas like this one is exactly what I was talking about. I realize now
(after IRC discussion) that I framed my idea/question badly - it's not
really about "hard" server-side validation - I fully agree that central
control over schema goes against the community spirit etc. At the same
time I think there is a middle ground - with ideas like this one above
(verified users, locked tags etc.) that could have benefits for the data
but would not harm the community.

> On the other hand, duplicate or wrong data is not really a problem. There
> are
> a lot of applications (renderers, routers etc.) that do succesfully
> manage the
> existing data.

Not sure if I agree here... as I mentioned before, looking long-term I
would look at this more carefully. Think about Wikipedia for example -
why did they introduce page locking, "citation needed", disputes at some
point? I imagine it was because Wikipedia got so popular that quality
(of core data in particular) became a critical factor.

Paweł