[OSM-dev] Extract data from an .osm/.pbf file with JOSM?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Sun Jul 22 04:30:49 BST 2012

Hi there,

I just tossed the question to #osm-dev but perhaps this would be a better
place to ask.

<jaakkoh_>
Has there been any discussion/plans to somehow integrate an .osm file
splitting/extracting tool to JOSM? .. That one could use a Planet extract
as the source for JOSM, defining a bounding box or poly and grabbing data
directly from the .osm file to JOSM with that?

It is in many situations also be more convenient to get filtered slice of
data from an extract than using a xAPI query. And JOSM can handle much more
data than the xAPI queries will want to give. .. A handy thing for
remapping situations and many others.

Now, I know how to use osmosis and osmconvert but it would be more
convenient (faster) if I could just create those extracts directly from/in
JOSM -- when that's where I need it. .. And I could  imagine that there
wouldn't have to be a need to create the extract as a separate file (unless
I'd want to save it) -- i.e. that it could just be loaded to the JOSM
memory... -> would be less hassle with file handling in many cases.

Any luck?
-Jaakko