[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Improvements to Vespucci

Sat Jul 28 19:14:41 BST 2012

Am 2012-07-28 10:08, schrieb Toby Murray:
> Not sure if this has anything to do with your changes or not but I can
> no longer use Bing imagery. If I select Bing as the background,
> Vespucci crashes when I go back to the map.

I can confirm that it does happen in my version, and that it does not
happen with Vespucci-0.7.0.apk from the download section.

The problem is that the constructor of OpenStreetMapTileServer (which is
called on the main thread via Main.onStart() - Map.setPrefs() -
OpenStreetMapTileServer.get()) attempts to do blocking network I/O
(which android does not allow on the main thread).

However, it looks like none of the relevant code was changed since the
0.7.0 release. The documentation for the NetworkOnMainThreadException
reveals that "This is only thrown for applications targeting the
Honeycomb SDK or higher." - i.e. there is a programming issue (network
access on the main thread) which did go unnoticed until I bumped the
Target SDK Version, enabling "strict mode".

An ugly hack (disabling strict mode) will be provided with the next APK
to "fix" (read: ignore) this issue temporarily, until someone who is
more knowledgable about the tile provider code fixes it properly by
moving the network I/O off the main thread.

Kind regards,
Jan