[OSM-dev] real-time upates to postgresql/postgis database

Dave Welchons welchons at brsc.com
Thu Jun 14 22:13:43 BST 2012

Hi All,

I followed the directions here
http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/building-a-tile-server-from-packages/ to
create my own tiles on my own Ubuntu server.  I chose to only download the
Northeastern part of the U.S for my local tile data.   I would like to have
a map application to view the data, and another application running on my
server that generates points in some file format, I think, to be displayed
on the map.  Is there a way of generating that point data in such a way that
it can be imported in real-time into my local postgresql/postgis database
and be automatically displayed when the user looks at an area where those
points have been uploaded?  I have read briefly about osmosis and osm2pgsql
for importing data into the OSM database, but I don't know if those work on
my own local tile server, and I don't think they are intended for real-time
execution.

I would also like to timetag the data in order to provide the user with a
way to look at the points at various times.

Thanks,

Dave Welchons