[OSM-dev] OSM StreetDensityMap

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Mar 6 13:42:26 GMT 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 01:31:31PM +0100, npl wrote:
> TagInfo-like systems (aggregating big data and creating statistics)
> could definitely be built using hadoop/mapreduce.

Or you can do what Taginfo does and just write it cleverly, so it just uses one
host for an hour instead of 10 hosts for several hours. :-) I do agree that
there are many use-cases for Hadoop & Co. But they also create a lot of
overhead...

Reminds me a bit of the Osmarender/Tiles at Home story: First we write a renderer
thats horribly slow and inefficient. So we have to distribute the work load
which makes it even more inefficient. Then to keep it going we invent more
and more technology around it. Oh well, I liked Osmarender, spent quite a
lot of time improving it and rendering maps with it. Sometimes its not about
being efficient. :-)

Jochen