[OSM-dev] Possible GSoC project: tag/area monitoring service

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:40:21 GMT 2012

Michael,
I think Serge's advice is good.  I had a go at putting down an order of
preference for how we should select GSoC Projects at the top of the ideas
page<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Project_Ideas_2012#Types_of_Projects>.
  I am proposing that we tend to favour projects that are based on
developing existing OSM related projects, rather than starting new ones.

Please add your idea to the wiki page though, and have a look at which tool
you may incorporate the idea into.

Regards

Graham.

On 6 March 2012 15:08, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the larger criticisms of GSoC is that the projects are often
> abandoned after the summer.
>
> Therefore I'd suggest that if you're going to work on something, you
> work on adding a feature to an existing OSM project, rather than going
> off and creating a new project.
>
> As Josh points out, there are several similar projects out there that
> monitor areas, so why not add the features you want to one of the
> existing projects.
>
> - Serge

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.