[OSM-dev] How to get all members of relations into GIS?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Wed Mar 7 11:16:25 GMT 2012

Hi,

I was playing with layered PDF and tram routes of Helsinki. It was  easy
to find the tram routes as lines from osm_line table and plot them as
separate layers into pdf file so that their visibility can be toggled
individually.
http://latuviitta.org/documents/raitiovaunulinjat.pdf

Background map: Copyright Karttakeskus, 2012
Layers may not be selectable with other viewers than Adobe Acrobat Viewer.

Now I would like to add also tram stops into the corresponding tram line
layers so I could label them and toggle their visibility together with the
route. It will be no problem once I get the tram stops somehow into
PostGIS so that I can select them with something like
SELECT tram_stops FROM some_table WHERE route_ref='7A';

Is there any ready made tools for that? I suppose that osm2pgsql cannot
handle this case because the connection between tram route and tram stops
is defined in the route relation and osm2pgsql is not made for solving
such relations.

Here is one example of tram route relations:
I would like to get the route line segments and tram stop points (with
attributes) into PostGIS, Spatialite, shapefiles, GML, or any other
general GIS format that is supported by GDAL for further processing. Any
suggestions about how to do it?

-Jukka Rahkonen-