[OSM-dev] How to apply OSM "Official" Application for Android GSOC project
osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Sun Mar 11 11:32:09 GMT 2012
Am 11.03.2012 12:18, schrieb Gihan De Silva:
> If anyone can show me a good tutorial on OSM API, it would be highly appreciated.
The won't be *the* osm application. Depending on what you want to do you'll need several different applications.
- One for mapping POIs
- One for mapping all OSM objects (ways, areas, route-relations)
- One for watching pixel-tile-maps, possibly with server-side routing
- One for watching Vector-Maps and routing locally
- One for recording GPX-Traces and upload them directly to the API
The technology to be used depends highly on what you're familar with. If you know on how to develop rich UIs for mobile devices with HTML5, do that. If you're better with Java, go that route. But which ever way you choose, first define what exactly what you want to do, then choose the tools you're planning to use.
Regarding the OSM Api you need to first check, what you want to do, because there are several APIs for diffentent tasks to perform.
- The Main-API for Editors and GPX-Uploaders
- The XAPI and the Overpass-API for specific Data-Consumers
- The Tiles-Server for Pixel-Map-Viewer
But in most cases you'll need to define & set up a custom API dedicated at the use case of your app. This offloads the main apis which are dedicated to mappers and allows you to optimize the communication between your app an the API by shifting processing requirements away from the mobile device.
More information about the dev