[OSM-dev] Willing to apply " Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor" GSOC 2012 project

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Mar 12 01:33:09 GMT 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Janani Nayanathara
<jananinayanathara at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> I am Janani Nayanathara from Uva Wellassa University, Sri Lanka.
> I am interested in " Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor" project
> because I am interested in dealing with maps. I want to know what are the
> subject areas I should refer before applying in order to be familiar
> with OpenStreetMap.

Great to hear this, I'm particularly interested in seeing an improved
Android app. After first doing what Ian suggested, check out all the
existing apps:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android#OpenStreetMap_editing_features

Personally I don't think robust editing (e.g. Vespucci) really works
on Android phones (but might work on tablets), but I'd like to see a
much improved OSMTracker. Namely adding vector background support
(e.g. what OsmAnd has) to see what data already exists, uploading
tracks directly to OSM, saving OSM.XML files for later editing in JOSM
(by saving proper tags instead of just notes in a GPX file), and more.
But definitely get more familiar with OSM in general first.

-Josh