[OSM-dev] Routing Server Publicly Available

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Wed Mar 14 12:18:15 GMT 2012

Hi,

Looks pretty nice. I appreciate that the GPX output alternative seems to
give good possibilities for make already existing systems to support
easily your routing service. I checked the gpx output and GDAL/OGR seems
to find route_points and routes without problems. Therefore I would guess
that it would be pretty easy to make a routing service plugin for Quantum
GIS which is already using GDAL/OGR internally and there are lots of
applications which can read GPX and those should be rather easy to make to
enjoy this service too.  However, the route descriptions does not come
with the GPX file. Could you consider writing also them into the GPX
output file as waypoints?  Waypoint could be placed into the start point
of each leg and perhaps the "cmt" or "desc" attribute could be used for
storing the text.

Here is the schema that ogrinfo lists about the (empty) waypoint layer of
a GPX file I captured from your service.

Z:\route>ogrinfo route.gpx waypoints
Warning 1: GPX schema version is unknown. The driver may not be able to
handle t
he file correctly and will behave as if it is GPX 1.1.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `route.gpx'
      using driver `GPX' successful.

Layer name: waypoints
Geometry: Point
Feature Count: 0
Layer SRS WKT:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],