[OSM-dev] API changes for license change

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 04:01:44 GMT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I've made a Wiki page that details the expected changes in API behaviour
> as a consequence of the license change.
>
> If you do anything with the API then you should probably read and understand
> this, to make sure that whatever you're doing will still work after the
> change!
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Changes_in_the_API
>
> There's no testing API available yet because the changes haven't been coded
> yet.
>
> A very quick overview:
>
> * If you are only using API calls that access the current version of objects
> - e.g. /node/1233 or /map - then there's no change for you.
>
> * However if you do anything that accesses historic data, like
> /node/1234/history or /node/1235/1 or changeset downloads, then there are
> changes that *might* affect you.

I think omitting the dirty versions makes the most sense. This ensures
maximum compatibility.

The rest of my comments are mainly cosmetic:

1. show_redacted=true seems long. how about redacted=true?

2. The redacted attributes should be defined soon, letting people give
feedback on the available values.

- Serge