[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql diff imports benchmarks

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:07:57 GMT 2012

sylvain letuffe wrote

> It turned out that the index on the "pending" field wasn't used at all and
> led
> to a full scan of the planet_osm_ways table, increasing noticeably the
> diff
> import.

I think I have seen that one before as well. If I remember correctly, it was
sufficient to run a simple analyze on the table. No need to do a re-index.
It probably thinks a too large proportion of the ways are "pending" and
therefore decides it is best to do a seq scan. Possibly because before the
"going over pending ways" stage about 50% of ways are pending during the
import. Osm2pgsql should be doing a analyze at the end of the import though,
so I am not sure why this is happening.

Kai