[OSM-dev] [Geowanking] shortestpathtree.org - a tool for quickly checking OSM data integrity

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Mar 12 16:17:57 GMT 2012

Interesting, is there a way to take into account a resistance value for each segment?

bobb

>>> Brandon Martin-Anderson <badhill at gmail.com> wrote:

Behold! I made a thing.

http://shortestpathtree.org

It creates shortest path trees, which are pretty, and have a variety
of uses. My favorite use is quickly and phenomenologically checking
OSM referential integrity across entire cities. Also, potentially, it
can tell you how to get places. Tell me how you like it.

Colophon, for the interested:
Server and client-side code is at https://github.com/bmander/vtp. I
took Migurski's city extracts in PBF format and popped them into a
Mongodb instance using a homebrew script in node.js. Then I applied a
series of map-reduce runs to slice the ways at shared intersections,
and to collect them into tiles. This is slow, but there's some home of
parallelization. A simple node.js script serves the vector tiles to
the client, where all routing is done; printed to a homebrew
canvas-based client. The disadvantage is that routing is slow for you.
The advantage is the server doesn't have to do anything except hand
out tiles, which, ideally, should be pretty small.

-B