[OSM-dev] Postcode to LonLat tool

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Mon Mar 26 10:39:40 BST 2012

On 25 March 2012 10:13, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
> On 25/03/12 00:25, Richard Ive wrote:
>> Hey Community,
>>
>> I'm not sure this is the right section, but I'm going to assume it is so
>> i'm just going to let all the development people here know about a tool I've
>> been creating. It's a UK postcode geocoder.
>>
>> I've created this using NodeJS. I set myself a goal of learning NodeJS,
>> then deploying the project completely free of charge. Some how I've achieved
>> it which I'm quite proud of seeing as the postcode database is about 1.7
>> million records and 400mb on disk. I do have the great guys at
>> http://nodester.com to thank for the free NodeJS hosting, and the guys at
>> http://dotcloud.com for their mongodb free hosting too.
>>
>> It's still work in progress, I also know there are tools out there that do
>> the same thing. However, feel free to try it, criticise it or just make any
>> general suggestions :) In the future I want to add features such as locating
>> other postcodes within an X radius of a searched postcode. I'll also make a
>> distance calculator between two postcodes.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Rich
>>

> Funny how things somehow come along together. Last week I wrote a simple GB
> postcode finder too.
>
> http://pcf.raggedred.net
>
> This incorporates the postcode tiles I maintain for overlays on editors or
> maps that need GB postcodes, more info at http://codepoint.raggedred.net

Those tools are really nice. There's not much to say since they seem
to just work :)

Also I guess that I should remind people of the Postcode Finder I
wrote a while back at
http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/. I haven't
updated the OSM data in a while (I will do soon) but it's able to
search via codepoint too.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com