[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Map key on osm.org

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Mar 22 14:45:37 GMT 2012

Hi.
Preface: I'll copy this mail to the dev at openstreetmap.org list, too, so
please restrict to one list when answering; but I think, this mail deals
with dev-issues, too and parts of the discussion might progress better
on dev.

I don't see the English descriptions, so I hope to guess the right keys
for you.
Most issues I list here are missing or obsolete items. Errors (where the
map key and the map differ) are marked as ERROR! if you only want to
deal with these.
German descriptions in paratheses.
I checked everything up to zoom level 10, afterwards it's difficult as
both, map and key get more crowded. So in higher zoom levels I restrict
to errors and issues I see by accident.

Btw: What about generating the map key from the stylesheet
automatically? Is there any ongoing work on that?

level 0: renders only land and water, but map key contains motorway
(Autobahn), trunk (Schnellstraße) and Country? These are not shown up to
level 4. borders (Landesgrenzen, sonstige Grenzen)
level 1: similar to 0, borders are shown, the other two are "obsolete"
in the map key
level 2, 3: missing key for Country labels
level 4: no differentiation between the two, but different border types
(countries vs. states)
level 5: missing key for Capitals
level 6: glaciers are missing (but quite prominent e.g. in the Alps).
Meaning of the city label changes (compared to lvl5): includes
additional big cities.
level 7: national parks are missing, but rendered (light green)
level 8: map shows forests/woods (very prominent), but that's not in the
map key
level 9: missing key for agricultural landuse (Landwirtschaft in level
10), but prominent in many areas. Rivers missing
level 10: Motorway key should contain the shield (as common in
"commercial" maps), Airports are missing, restricted areas are missing
(the red, diagonal striped areas)
level 11: trunks and primary roads are rendered with shields in the map,
should be reflected in the map key; motorway links are rendered as small
numbers, but not in the map key. Peaks are missing in the map key;
nature reserve(?) (rendered as small green NR "icons" on areas) is
missing in the map key
level 13: tertiary is missing in the map key

well... on a deeper look the "error" I saw is no error (secondary and
tertiary are similar, and I interpreted the secondary map key for a
street that was a tertiary in the map, while in that area no secondary
is present).

Nevertheless: Anything that counts against generating the map key in
general out of the stylesheet?
If that would be possible, we could additionally support the
opencyclemap, public transport map (afaik both rendered with mapnik,
too) and probably even Mapquest, if they support this.

Is there any development on
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/legend.py ?
Probably that is a good starting point for automatic generation of the
map key?

regards
Peter