[OSM-dev] Status of the Mapnik stylesheets

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Tue Nov 13 23:28:12 GMT 2012

On Nov 13, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Lennard wrote:

> On 13-11-2012 15:48, Simon Legner wrote:
>
>> I'd like to find out what the current status of the Mapnik stylesheets
>> for www.osm.org is. The most recent changes are from June 2012 [1], and
>> the number of open tickets in TRAC is >400 [2].
>
> Currently it's in a bit of a holding pattern. Personally, I'm waiting for an update of the server, which should bring a newer version of the mapnik render software.

I am actively maintaining a Mapnik 2.1.x series. Currently Mapnik master is targeting 2.2 but over the next couple weeks more stability fixes will be backported to 2.1.x. I think this would be a great release to target. Its not got a fixed release schedule, but could drop whenever needed.

> The other regular maintainer is on Windows, and would need a Windows build of that mapnik to come back to developing the style.

Thanks for raising this. I'd love to see Steve involved in whatever forms future styles take, as his time allows, and this is critical.

Mapnik 2.1.1 will come with Windows binaries when released, with both python bindings and node.js bindings provided.

I'm sorry about not providing Windows binaries yet for Mapnik 2.x. The holdup is that I have a dev environment working that is running Visual Studio 2010, and I need to get a parallel setup running Visual Studio 2008 for support compiling the python bindings. Its a silly blocker, but will take time which I've yet to carve out.

Dane