[OSM-dev] Status of the Mapnik stylesheets

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 01:10:31 GMT 2012

Tom MacWright wrote
> The biggest problem with the Mapnik stylesheet right now is that it's in
> SVN. Not the technology, but the fact that this gives people without
> commit
> access to that repository no clear way to contribute. There is no way to
> 'just do it' until the style is actually maintained in GitHub, actually
> welcomes contributions, and has active maintainers. Until then we're just
> talking.

I though SVN actually worked better than github for projects that don't have
a maintainer. The SVN repository used to have a very inclusive account
policy. I.e. basically anyone could get an account and then commit to any
part of the repository.

So people could "just do it" and commit their patches to the master branch
of a project even if there was no clear or active maintainer. So people
didn't even have to wait for someone to "pull" their patch into the
maintainers repository. Whether those changes would then actually get
deployed to the OSMF tileserver is another matter, but that is the same
issue with any github repository too.

But yes, I agree that currently the lack of a maintainer for the osm mapnik
style sheet is probably the main problem.

Kai