[OSM-dev] Status of osm2pgsql for Windows

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Wed Nov 14 10:41:03 GMT 2012

Kai Krueger wrote:

> Dane Springmeyer wrote
>> I'm sorry about not providing Windows binaries yet for Mapnik 2.x. The
>> holdup is that I have a dev environment working that is running Visual
>> Studio 2010, and I need to get a parallel setup running Visual Studio
>> 2008
>> for support compiling the python bindings. Its a silly blocker, but will
>> take time which I've yet to carve out.
>
> Last time you mentioned that one thing holding up compiling a new version
> of
> osm2pgsql for Windows was its use of C99. I think I have now ported it
> back
> to ansi C. Could you give compiling osm2pgsql another go at some point and
> let me know what else needs fixing to get it to work on Windows?

Some time ago there was this announcement in this mailing list

"Peter Körner has built and uploaded a recent version (0.80.0 32bit id
space) of osm2pgsql to http://osm4windows.org/downloads/ "

I have tried that version with Windows Vista 32-bit and it works. It takes
much less memory than the year 2010 build, it reads .pbf format and it is
faster (about 2 hours with finland.osm.pbf now vs. two and a half hours
with finland.osm.bz2 with the previous). GDAL is still faster with my weak
machine with dual core 1.2 GHz processor and 2 GB of memory and does the
import into PosGIS in 30 minutes. Import into Spatialite takes only 10
minutes. Numbers are not exact because in my test osm2pgsql and GDAL
schemas were not identical.

-Jukka Rahkonen-