[OSM-dev] Status of the Mapnik stylesheets

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 14 12:16:27 GMT 2012

On 11/14/2012 01:09 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I fully agree that GitHub is popular, but it is a pet peeve of mine
> to point out that alternatives exist, just like other people will
> complain if an Open Source project runs its mailing list on Google or
> so. With GitHub in the hands of a commercial company I fear that
> before too long they'll do something stupid to monetize the user
> base; this has happened countless times before. As the old adage
> goes, "if you're not paying for the product then you are the
> product".

I agree it's not ideal to use a closed and commercial solution for such
an important thing like development and issue tracking. I believe the
way OSM does it currently is the correct one - maintain own Git repos
plus mirror them on Github.

So I guess the main question is about issue tracking and maintainer
support - here there is no easy way to mirror stuff...

Paweł