[OSM-dev] Will the real OpenStreetBugs stand up?

Fabian Patzke openstreetmap at patzi.de
Fri Oct 12 09:34:49 BST 2012

Hi,
first http://osmbugs.org/ is just another frontend for
http://openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org/ both are using the database at
openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org.
Second, good to hear there is something going on.
Mitja, the developer behind openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org and me tried to
improve osmbugs a while ago, at that time we had short contact with Tom
Hughes regarding the integration in the main site. I think there was no time
at that moment because of the license change that was going to start. We
forgot that we wanted to do something and let it rest ;)
3 weeks ago we had a little hack meeting here and talked about a new
osmbugs. We came to the conclusion, that if we want to improve osmbugs we
shouldn't keep it a goal to have the same api as before. We thought we would
develop it again as an independent service, because for us it would be
achieved much easier and we thought that an integration would first be done
with "the" new look of the site, which seems to be on ice.

Our main improvements should be:
- tags on bugs, so we can have different categories
- versioning, so you can see what has changed
- authentication, we thought about OAUTH cause we thought about an
independent site. authentication should not be required but possible
- possibility to reopen a bug

Another part would have been the userinterface, but thats another part ;)
We put notes down at [1]. The question for us that raises now. Should we
still work on this? Should we improve a possible integration with tags and
so on? Or should we just lay back an do nothing ;)

Greetings,
Fabian

[1] - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetBugs/osmbugszweinull