[OSM-dev] Hello World

AJ Ashton aj.ashton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 02:04:32 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Michal Migurski <mike at teczno.com> wrote:
> A potential issue is that I think this needs to be a high-quality style with some data-processing features that would introduce a rendering delay:
>
> * Generalized and merged dual carriageways for mid-zoom labels,
> * City label placements for low-to-mid zooms generated with simulated annealing,
> * Route shields based on route relations,
> * Merged transit points.

I agree that the default OSM.org tiles should be separate from a more
mapper/debug-focused design (as I would say the current Standard style
is) and also agree that in order to do this the data needs to be
tweaked more than is likely possible in 'real-time'. I would love to
join an effort to make this a reality.

We're doing similar/related data pre-processing at MapBox which I'll
be detailing in my SOTM-US talk on Sunday. Currently we do this as a
one-off pre-render step (since we generate our rendering databases
with Imposm), but I would love to discuss ideas about integrating such
render-focused optimizations into a minutely-Mapnik system with anyone
who's interested, either in Portland or online.

--
AJ Ashton