[OSM-dev] OSM Wishlist

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Sun Oct 14 23:50:34 BST 2012

Am 12.10.2012 01:58, schrieb Tom MacWright:
> What are the tasks which everyone agrees on, but nobody has had the
> time to tackle?
there is still a lot of information missing to compete with "commercial
data" for (car) navigation system (e.g. from Navteq and Tele-Atlas):
* have house numbers/addresses everywhere
* have turn restrictions everywhere
* have lane guiding informations everywhere
* have maxspeed information everywhere
* for 3d navigation, buildings being present "everywhere" would be nice
Support for mapping these informations is appreciated but not the most
important issue in my point of view.

 From my point of view e.g. in Germany we are moving in a lot of areas
already from "mapping the information" to "keep the information up to
date". I would rate that we don't have methods neither tools to check
the data. So this is the most open issue from my point of view. I'm
aware of tools like OSM-Inspector/keeprigt and osmbugs, but that's not
the same as monitor and update the data.
An example for this: in Germany the drugstore brand "Schlecker" went
into bankruptcy. While checking/"removing" all Schlecker shops in my
town I notived that 2 out of 5 shops had been closed long time ago but
still being present in the OSM data/map. The problem: if an area is
considered "completely mapped", nobody is going out to check the data
for changes...

Best regards,
Michael.

PS: there has been a discussion about adding some kind of "last
checked"-tag to each object. But to me and a lot of other persons this
doesn't seem to be an appropriate method. Maybe this could be stored in
a seperate data base linked to the main db (API 0.7?).