[OSM-dev] missing nodes

David Prime david at primefarm.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 16:40:18 BST 2012

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to processing the OSM datasets and trying to extract
interesting data. What I'm trying to do is build a dataset of all UK roads.
I first used osmosis with a way filter based on the highway tag, which
worked reasonably well. However, when I delved into the data, I noticed
that a lot of my ways had node refs to missing node entities in the file
I'm extracting data from (a recent england dump). Now, I expect some roads
to get chopped off at borders and so on but I've done it manually via a
java program that parses the full england dump and I've counted ~1.3million
ways which reference nodes that I could not find in the same XML file. This
seems excessive to me, unless I'm misunderstanding some aspect of the data
model. Any ideas from the old hands?

Many thanks,
David