[OSM-dev] Notes - OSM improvements BoF at SOTM PDX

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 17:08:09 BST 2012

Tom Hughes wrote:

> As to other sites, the problems are several fold - how do we decide to
> bless one particular site over another? not to mention the fact that
> we might end up driving more traffic to such sites than they could
> handle.

 From a purely end-user perspective, having lots of third-party sites is
both a strength and a weakness - it's great that there's lots of choice,
but also confusing to newbies.

Take for example the perennial question "how do I get an OSM map on my
Garmin Satnav?".  The answers (e.g. on help.osm.org) tend to be
"(pointing at the wiki) there at lots of different maps all displaying
slightly different information, and (pointing at the wiki again) you can
even make your own if you want to!  But (pointing at
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/) here's what you _actually_ want, at
least the first time you want to try it".

It's similar with download extracts - there are lots of places that you
could download extracts from, but, as http://planet.osm.org/ currently
does, there are two where it makes sense to look first.

There are lots of cases where it makes sense to have a cornucopia of
different third-party options, but it's difficult to argue the benefit
of variety for something simple like planet extracts. Obviously there
are already a few "officially blessed" third-party sites around - (e.g.
3 of the 4 osm.org sets of map tiles).

Cheers,
Andy