[OSM-dev] Notes - OSM improvements BoF at SOTM PDX

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Tue Oct 16 17:50:56 BST 2012

> As to other sites, the problems are several fold - how do we decide to
> bless one particular site over another?

Please be honest. You, I, and everbody else also set preferences on at best
educated guesses, often more trust in what or whom we know or don't know. We
use OpenLayers and not Leaflet on the main page, we don't have routing on the
main page although several services are realiable. We have certain tile
sources and others not. Some services have an address redirect off .osm.org,
others not, for no particular reason.

1. The simplest way would be a public voting. Ask
- whether somebody does volunteer to do the administration even longterm
- let the community give comments on the project and site and person

2. A more elaborate way would be to design a benchmark for the task and test
how the service in question performs. Then publish and discuss the test
results.

3. An even more elabortae way would to have a test installation, announce the
service as beta, observe how usage develops and give a report after some
months.

I encounter 1. easily possible, and 2. with some enthusiasm. I don't think 3.
is necessary, but it may be worth considering. In any case, the produced
material and documents suffice for a diligent decision.

> not to mention the fact that we
> might end up driving more traffic to such sites than they could handle.

Could you give figures what amount of traffic you expect?
1 GB per day, 1 GB per hour, 1 GB per minute, or even more?

Cheers,

Roland