[OSM-dev] Tagging of multipolygons with holes within holes

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:58:44 BST 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Peter Wendorff
<wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>wrote:

>  And where's the problem?
> The island is part of the area described by the multipolygon, as every
> other outer way is, too.
> It can be handled exactly the same as long as you don't want to do special
> stuff according to topology, but then again topology is missing for most
> osm model elements, yet (or: you have to interpret it from the geometry
> yourself).

Yes, the key word is topology. Moving beyond the Painter's algorithm and
simple map rendering. Having the ability to do generalization with topology
- polygon simplifications, merging of polygons of similar landuse,
detecting/removing common edges, displacement, amalgamation etc. All in
order to produce more useful export data or vector maps. That's what I've
been doing for the last couple of months.

Igor