[OSM-dev] Recapping wishlist + hello world + PDX Bof

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Thu Oct 18 23:08:24 BST 2012

I just went through all posts on the initial wishlist thread [1] the additional one Mike opened [2] and on the minutes thread from the Portland BoF [3]. Find below my notes on all the topics that came up (they don't include the recap from PDX itself which you cain find in [3]). Thanks for taking the personal time for weighing in and please continue to do so.

For Tom (MacWright) and me starting on Knight funded work right now responses here on the list and conversations in Portland were extremely helpful for focusing our priorities. As a result we'd like to start contributing to the iD project [4] and leave API priorities to a later stage. Pushing on iD is a great opportunity right now as we get to join forces with some of the most experienced people in the OSM editing space just as they're gearing up for more work on it. Our first goals will be to help solidify architecture and tests, in a couple of weeks we'd like to help move along UI and design, too. We'll share more details soon. Tom's already started work [5].

Andy Allan asked in Portland how we'll make sure how folks outside of the MapBox team can hold pace with us now that we get to focus more on OSM with Knight funding. For now I'm actually experiencing the reverse, given that there is so much good stuff going on with what we should be involved but there's only so much time in the day. I'll do my best to stay involved where stuff's happening in the editors/data/social space.

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-October/025746.html
[2] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-October/025777.html
[3] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-October/025867.html
[4] http://www.geowiki.com/
[5] https://github.com/systemed/iD/issues?page=1&state=open

# Notes

I went through all emails in threads [1, 2, 3] and jotted down stuff that came up and clustered it by topic.

## OpenStreetMap.org

- power history tab with OWL or equivalent
- general design refresh or clean up
- activity streams for aggregating relevant (social) activities across OSM tiers
- Better QA systems on osm.org
- Integrating with external QA systems like OSM Inspector (example Osmose came up)
- OSMBugs integration with OSM.org
- Commenting on changesets
- Flag events in people's geographic areas of interest
- Synchronicity of translations

## Mapnik style

- Improve existing
- Start on a new style, leave Mapnik style as is
- Internationalization of tiles, would specifically ease edit wars (see Jochen's Wikimedia funded work)
- Generalized and merged dual carriageways for mid-zoom labels,
- City label placements for low-to-mid zooms generated with simulated annealing,
- Route shields based on route relations
- Merged transit points.
- TomH is open to move Mapnik style to GitHub wants to see individuals first who really want to work on it (i. e. a new maintainer steps up).

## Editors

- UI / unit testing in P2
- junction editor in P2
- Better tools for maintaining a map, rather than creating one
- Improved relation editing (turn restrictions, route relations, addressing)
- Chat box connecting mappers working at the same time in the same area
- Sandbox for learning how to edit
- Dangers of loosing valuable mappers to the sandbox

## API

- deleted item map call
- API interface to diary entries exposing lat/lon
- Better caching
- Way level history calls
- Change notifications for OSM data
- Diffs on changesets

## Data delivery

- Better time awareness in planet dumps
- Diff / patch tool for imported data
- ogr3osm for converting very large sets of geometries (also see ogr2osm)
- Improve Export data tab / clarify relationship with planet.osm.org
- Integrating / linking to external data services (which ones do we 'bless'?)
- Advanced data services offering converted formats (e. g. for Garmin, SVG for Inkscape)
- Support larger downloads through API (cached tile sources?)

## Other

- GUI for MapProxy
- Push on better suitability of OSM data for routing
- Ensure long term sustainability and usefulness of improvements
- Justify improvements to core infrastructure with real usage
- Issue trackers are for concrete tasks
- Losely coupled is preferable
- Funding server infrastructure

Alex Barth